Adoption Lawyer in Oklahoma
Adoption of a child can bring so much joy to all parties involved. The process of adoption, however, can be a long, tedious one. With the help of an adoption attorney in Oklahoma, you may be able to bypass many issues that other hopeful parents encounter.
At Brown & Flesch, PLLC, our adoption lawyer will provide thorough support and careful planning and communicate with you throughout the process. We want our clients to be informed because we know you make better decisions that way. Contact us today online or call us directly at 405-548-1970 to schedule a consultation.
What Does an Adoption Lawyer in Oklahoma City Do?
An adoption lawyer is an essential part of any adoption process. They can provide assistance to those looking to adopt as well as those placing their child up for adoption. They provide many services, including:
- Preparing and filing of all legal paperwork
- Continuous up-to-date legal counsel
- Locating and communicating with those involved in a private adoption or an appropriate adoption agency
- Negotiating conditions and terms of the adoption
- Representing client at all court appearances
An adoption lawyer ensures all aspects of the adoption are legally compliant with local, state, and federal law.
Adoption Lawyer versus Adoption Agency in Oklahoma
Many people prefer to work with both an adoption lawyer and an adoption agency. An adoption agency typically offers more services in the way of mental health counseling and matching prospective families with babies. However, the adoption lawyer is the person with the legal skill and credentials to actually move the adoption through the court system. Especially in cases where the parties don't need assistance in being matched with a prospective baby or adoptive parents, just using the services of an adoption lawyer may be a less expensive route to take.
Legal Issues in Adoption
There are legal issues that can arise throughout the adoption process. Some of the most common issues that arise in the adoption process are described below.
- Putative Fathers: In some cases, it may be possible for a man to become aware of the existence of his child after the child has been adopted. If he is able to prove the relationship and meets other legal criteria, he may be able to establish himself as the legal parent and take custody of the child away from the adoptive parents.
- Relinquishment: In many jurisdictions, the birth mother has the right to withdraw her consent to the adoption up until the point she has actually signed a relinquishment of her rights. This can occur even after the adoptive parents have been selected and the child born.
- Future Involvement: In cases of open adoptions, a situation may occur later down the line wherein one or both of the birth parents do not feel they are being allowed enough access to the child. They can then pursue the ability to spend more time with the child through the court system. Keep in mind, an open adoption means different things according to the state you live in.
Different states handle adoptions in different ways, and there may be legal issues that occur more often in your jurisdiction.
Why Should I Hire an Adoption Attorney in Oklahoma City?
Adoption is a delicate matter that involves the lives and well-being of numerous people, not the least of which is a newborn child. It is imperative for a birth mother and adoptive parents to go into the situation with open eyes and a realistic expectation of what might happen. Hiring an adoption attorney means you have someone that knows how to check all the boxes to ensure the entire process is compliant with all governing laws.
Contact an Adoption Lawyer in Oklahoma Today
At Brown & Flesch, PLLC, we help bring the joy of a child into your life. We navigate the adoption system with ease and use our resources to make the experience as smooth as possible. Contact our adoption lawyer in Oklahoma using our online form or by calling us directly at 405-548-1970 to get started today.